the Anti-Registration Act
Why hello there!
Sign in or up for all the exciting stuff Wink

the Anti-Registration Act


 
HomeGalleryFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 What The F***

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:34 pm

True Believer wrote:
minimalist wrote:

Lately it seems like all we do is fight with each other. I dont like this trend.

Yeah, I've noticed this, too.

What's really good, guys?

Let's hug it out.


There do seem to be lots of people on edge these days. I think the Mods do a great job, but like any new job, they have to find their way to be effective without messing with content. A friend of mine used to refer to certain fools as "a idiot" as opposed to the grammatical "an idiot". His error was purposeful and his slam would not have been effective if corrective.

But about us - I hope we find a way to be opinionated without being disrespectful and that we can disagree without taking offense. I think we all left the My Space group, because the moderators were heavy handed in trying to make us all play nice. Either this site falls that way or it goes into utter chaos as people insult each other left and right. I urge us all to respectful. It is our appreciation comic book that brought us here - but I find it's hearing from and about Joel and mini and Pete, and Wholesome and MJ , Dan (both of them), GoZ, TB and Red (and everyone else I could not mention) that keeps me coming back. Families squabble, it's the nature of a family. But in the end they do love and respect each other. Be cool everybody - this applies to me too. At the showing of TDK, a couple of guys were talking through the movie, I shushed them (respectfully - honest!) and one of them said if I didn't like it I should call the manager. I turned around and and growled if I have to talk to them again, they'll have to call an ambulance. They quieted down, but I should have found a better way.
Back to top Go down
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
avatar

Male Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:49 pm

Jim! wrote:
True Believer wrote:
minimalist wrote:

Lately it seems like all we do is fight with each other. I dont like this trend.

Yeah, I've noticed this, too.

What's really good, guys?

Let's hug it out.


There do seem to be lots of people on edge these days. I think the Mods do a great job, but like any new job, they have to find their way to be effective without messing with content. A friend of mine used to refer to certain fools as "a idiot" as opposed to the grammatical "an idiot". His error was purposeful and his slam would not have been effective if corrective.

But about us - I hope we find a way to be opinionated without being disrespectful and that we can disagree without taking offense. I think we all left the My Space group, because the moderators were heavy handed in trying to make us all play nice. Either this site falls that way or it goes into utter chaos as people insult each other left and right. I urge us all to respectful. It is our appreciation comic book that brought us here - but I find it's hearing from and about Joel and mini and Pete, and Wholesome and MJ , Dan (both of them), GoZ, TB and Red (and everyone else I could not mention) that keeps me coming back. Families squabble, it's the nature of a family. But in the end they do love and respect each other. Be cool everybody - this applies to me too. At the showing of TDK, a couple of guys were talking through the movie, I shushed them (respectfully - honest!) and one of them said if I didn't like it I should call the manager. I turned around and and growled if I have to talk to them again, they'll have to call an ambulance. They quieted down, but I should have found a better way.

I actually think your way was fine. You warned them respectfully, they chose to be douchebags. You threatened them, they shut up.

And uh . . . Yeah. I pretty much agree with the other stuff, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tayley
The ARA
The ARA
avatar

Male Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:20 pm

i actually on the contrary thought everything was pretty peacefull which is why i play the character i do. to make some sort of conflict on here. but thats not why im here. i have my own "WHAT THE F***" moment.




HEIDENN WEIS? REALLY? HE GETS A COLORED NAME? WHADDYAWIGGAWHADIDA WHAT DID HE DO? ASIDE FROM COMPLETELY THWART MY PLAN TO STALK LINDSAY FELTON? WHY? why. why can i not have a colored name but he can. WHY. why. WHAT THE F***!?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
avatar

Male Age : 78

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:30 pm

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
I just ran across this disturbing exchange on another thread:


I think any mod is totally out of line when they "edit" someone's post, whether as a joke or to "fix" spelling/grammar. If you want to be funny, do it in the same way the rest of the members would by quoting a post and saying it's "fixed", etc. Do not abuse your powers. It'll create a lot of hostility among members and, eventually, to certain people leaving this forum permanently. Some of you may be forgetting that one of the main reasons for this new forum is the censorship that was experienced at the former site. If you want to keep the theme of the ARA true to it's name and original purpose, refrain from moderating or censoring except for when it is ABSOLUTELY necessary!

Obviously you're correct. This is what me and Thomas were saying. And we're dealing with it.

However I don't think there's anything wrong with fixing unintentional typos and spelling errors and I'm pretty sure most people appreciate it.


"However I don't think there's anything wrong with fixing unintentional typos and spelling errors and I'm pretty sure most people appreciate it."

I have a serious problem with that! None of us really know one another and a big part of everyone's personality or in some cases "character" is how they write. Perfect example, TAYLOR (whose style is f#@$*& entertaining as hell!). Changing or "correcting" someone's grammar or spelling takes away from that person's personality as it were. I don't care if someone can't spell. Their writing is a big part of how I identify or see that member.

More importantly, I don't believe any of the Admins or Mods have shown us their qualifications for professional editing. And no, I don't want to hear about it either since, much to some people's surprise, there are members here that may be OVER qualified for that task but just happen to not have Admin or Mod status. Furthermore, there are PLENTY of times when both Admins and Mods have had SERIOUS problems with spelling AND grammar.

So, as a rule, I propose that no one's post are edited without the original poster's express consent or request.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
avatar

Male Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 pm

DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
I just ran across this disturbing exchange on another thread:


I think any mod is totally out of line when they "edit" someone's post, whether as a joke or to "fix" spelling/grammar. If you want to be funny, do it in the same way the rest of the members would by quoting a post and saying it's "fixed", etc. Do not abuse your powers. It'll create a lot of hostility among members and, eventually, to certain people leaving this forum permanently. Some of you may be forgetting that one of the main reasons for this new forum is the censorship that was experienced at the former site. If you want to keep the theme of the ARA true to it's name and original purpose, refrain from moderating or censoring except for when it is ABSOLUTELY necessary!

Obviously you're correct. This is what me and Thomas were saying. And we're dealing with it.

However I don't think there's anything wrong with fixing unintentional typos and spelling errors and I'm pretty sure most people appreciate it.


"However I don't think there's anything wrong with fixing unintentional typos and spelling errors and I'm pretty sure most people appreciate it."

I have a serious problem with that! None of us really know one another and a big part of everyone's personality or in some cases "character" is how they write. Perfect example, TAYLOR (whose style is f#@$*& entertaining as hell!). Changing or "correcting" someone's grammar or spelling takes away from that person's personality as it were. I don't care if someone can't spell. Their writing is a big part of how I identify or see that member.

More importantly, I don't believe any of the Admins or Mods have shown us their qualifications for professional editing. And no, I don't want to hear about it either since, much to some people's surprise, there are members here that may be OVER qualified for that task but just happen to not have Admin or Mod status. Furthermore, there are PLENTY of times when both Admins and Mods have had SERIOUS problems with spelling AND grammar.

So, as a rule, I propose that no one's post are edited without the original poster's express consent or request.

You'll notice I said "unintentional," in other words: In cases that the mistake is glaring and obviously was not intended to be written as such. I didn't say I want to change anyone's style but is it really going to cause controversy if someone misspells "bribery" and I fix it without taking the time to be certain it won't bother them.

In your case, since it bothers you so much, no I won't fix your mistakes. And anyone else who is uncomfortable with me doing so please make that clear, now. But I won't accept your opinion as the general sentiment of the boards, and considering I've been doing it for a while and no one has once complained I don't assume it bothers most people as much as it does you.

But, as previously stated, I could be wrong. And if it really bothers anyone please make that clear here and I won't take the time to fix your mistakes anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
avatar

Male Age : 78

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:57 pm

True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
I just ran across this disturbing exchange on another thread:


I think any mod is totally out of line when they "edit" someone's post, whether as a joke or to "fix" spelling/grammar. If you want to be funny, do it in the same way the rest of the members would by quoting a post and saying it's "fixed", etc. Do not abuse your powers. It'll create a lot of hostility among members and, eventually, to certain people leaving this forum permanently. Some of you may be forgetting that one of the main reasons for this new forum is the censorship that was experienced at the former site. If you want to keep the theme of the ARA true to it's name and original purpose, refrain from moderating or censoring except for when it is ABSOLUTELY necessary!

Obviously you're correct. This is what me and Thomas were saying. And we're dealing with it.

However I don't think there's anything wrong with fixing unintentional typos and spelling errors and I'm pretty sure most people appreciate it.


"However I don't think there's anything wrong with fixing unintentional typos and spelling errors and I'm pretty sure most people appreciate it."

I have a serious problem with that! None of us really know one another and a big part of everyone's personality or in some cases "character" is how they write. Perfect example, TAYLOR (whose style is f#@$*& entertaining as hell!). Changing or "correcting" someone's grammar or spelling takes away from that person's personality as it were. I don't care if someone can't spell. Their writing is a big part of how I identify or see that member.

More importantly, I don't believe any of the Admins or Mods have shown us their qualifications for professional editing. And no, I don't want to hear about it either since, much to some people's surprise, there are members here that may be OVER qualified for that task but just happen to not have Admin or Mod status. Furthermore, there are PLENTY of times when both Admins and Mods have had SERIOUS problems with spelling AND grammar.

So, as a rule, I propose that no one's post are edited without the original poster's express consent or request.

You'll notice I said "unintentional," in other words: In cases that the mistake is glaring and obviously was not intended to be written as such. I didn't say I want to change anyone's style but is it really going to cause controversy if someone misspells "bribery" and I fix it without taking the time to be certain it won't bother them.

In your case, since it bothers you so much, no I won't fix your mistakes. And anyone else who is uncomfortable with me doing so please make that clear, now. But I won't accept your opinion as the general sentiment of the boards, and considering I've been doing it for a while and no one has once complained I don't assume it bothers most people as much as it does you.

But, as previously stated, I could be wrong. And if it really bothers anyone please make that clear here and I won't take the time to fix your mistakes anymore.

I just don't even see why you should be bothered, TB. I didn't expect that by going to an independent and foreign (?) site as we did, the ARA would have additional levels of scrutiny compared with what we had before.

Also, just to clarify, I've never been "edited" as far as I know. So, no, it doesn't bother me because I've personally experienced it. But I am offended that it's happening at all...on THIS site of all places...to anyone. And I wouldn't be surprised if someone who may not write as well as you would feel a bit intimidated to post in this forum!

(I hope I haven't made any grammatical/spelling errors in writing this.) study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
avatar

Male Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:12 am

DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
True Believer wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
I just ran across this disturbing exchange on another thread:


I think any mod is totally out of line when they "edit" someone's post, whether as a joke or to "fix" spelling/grammar. If you want to be funny, do it in the same way the rest of the members would by quoting a post and saying it's "fixed", etc. Do not abuse your powers. It'll create a lot of hostility among members and, eventually, to certain people leaving this forum permanently. Some of you may be forgetting that one of the main reasons for this new forum is the censorship that was experienced at the former site. If you want to keep the theme of the ARA true to it's name and original purpose, refrain from moderating or censoring except for when it is ABSOLUTELY necessary!

Obviously you're correct. This is what me and Thomas were saying. And we're dealing with it.

However I don't think there's anything wrong with fixing unintentional typos and spelling errors and I'm pretty sure most people appreciate it.


"However I don't think there's anything wrong with fixing unintentional typos and spelling errors and I'm pretty sure most people appreciate it."

I have a serious problem with that! None of us really know one another and a big part of everyone's personality or in some cases "character" is how they write. Perfect example, TAYLOR (whose style is f#@$*& entertaining as hell!). Changing or "correcting" someone's grammar or spelling takes away from that person's personality as it were. I don't care if someone can't spell. Their writing is a big part of how I identify or see that member.

More importantly, I don't believe any of the Admins or Mods have shown us their qualifications for professional editing. And no, I don't want to hear about it either since, much to some people's surprise, there are members here that may be OVER qualified for that task but just happen to not have Admin or Mod status. Furthermore, there are PLENTY of times when both Admins and Mods have had SERIOUS problems with spelling AND grammar.

So, as a rule, I propose that no one's post are edited without the original poster's express consent or request.

You'll notice I said "unintentional," in other words: In cases that the mistake is glaring and obviously was not intended to be written as such. I didn't say I want to change anyone's style but is it really going to cause controversy if someone misspells "bribery" and I fix it without taking the time to be certain it won't bother them.

In your case, since it bothers you so much, no I won't fix your mistakes. And anyone else who is uncomfortable with me doing so please make that clear, now. But I won't accept your opinion as the general sentiment of the boards, and considering I've been doing it for a while and no one has once complained I don't assume it bothers most people as much as it does you.

But, as previously stated, I could be wrong. And if it really bothers anyone please make that clear here and I won't take the time to fix your mistakes anymore.

I just don't even see why you should be bothered, TB. I didn't expect that by going to an independent and foreign (?) site as we did, the ARA would have additional levels of scrutiny compared with what we had before.

Also, just to clarify, I've never been "edited" as far as I know. So, no, it doesn't bother me because I've personally experienced it. But I am offended that it's happening at all...on THIS site of all places...to anyone. And I wouldn't be surprised if someone who may not write as well as you would feel a bit intimidated to post in this forum!

(I hope I haven't made any grammatical/spelling errors in writing this.) study

It doesn't matter, because I won't be editing them since it bothers you. See? Simple, right?

And who's scrutinizing anyone? I'm not penalizing anyone, I'm not insulting anyone, I'm not publicly embarrassing anyone, this isn't a test. I'm just trying to make a few statement more clear by occasionally editing unintentional spelling errors. No big deal. Don't you think you could be blowing this a tiny bit out of proportion?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
minimalist
Global
Global
avatar

Male Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:19 am

TB I dont think Dan is so much talking about you as he is about the admins or other ppl that see a mistake and the quote it and say learn to spell.

At least that's what I assume he means.

_________________
Yea, pretty much
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R
the numero uno
the numero uno
avatar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:25 am

minimalist wrote:
TB I dont think Dan is so much talking about you as he is about the admins or other ppl that see a mistake and the quote it and say learn to spell.

At least that's what I assume he means.

Waitaminute....

When have I ever told anyone to 'learn how to spell'?

Or had horrifically disgusting grammar, for that matter?

Razz

For the record, I'm not actually getting angry at people over their grammar and such.
I mean, I have unlimited text messaging and my friends use it up every day (impossible, I know. digression)
Aaaand one of them quite care about grammar.

sO i c stuf lYke dis al tEh thyme.


It just throws of my aesthetic balance, if you will.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
avatar

Male Age : 78

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:26 am

minimalist wrote:
TB I dont think Dan is so much talking about you as he is about the admins or other ppl that see a mistake and the quote it and say learn to spell.

At least that's what I assume he means.

I just think it's a good idea to ease up on everyone and make this forum a friendlier posting environment. We already have a lot of people getting their opinions shot down. Maybe if everyone was a bit friendlier and we didn't have Big Brother editing posts, more lurkers would contribute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
minimalist
Global
Global
avatar

Male Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:31 am

R wrote:
minimalist wrote:
TB I dont think Dan is so much talking about you as he is about the admins or other ppl that see a mistake and the quote it and say learn to spell.

At least that's what I assume he means.

Waitaminute....

When have I ever told anyone to 'learn how to spell'?

Or had horrifically disgusting grammar, for that matter?

Razz

For the record, I'm not actually getting angry at people over their grammar and such.
I mean, I have unlimited text messaging and my friends use it up every day (impossible, I know. digression)
Aaaand one of them quite care about grammar.

sO i c stuf lYke dis al tEh thyme.


It just throws of my aesthetic balance, if you will.

It wasn't you, but I've seen it before.

_________________
Yea, pretty much
Back to top Go down
View user profile
minimalist
Global
Global
avatar

Male Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:32 am

DanElectro wrote:
minimalist wrote:
TB I dont think Dan is so much talking about you as he is about the admins or other ppl that see a mistake and the quote it and say learn to spell.

At least that's what I assume he means.

I just think it's a good idea to ease up on everyone and make this forum a friendlier posting environment. We already have a lot of people getting their opinions shot down. Maybe if everyone was a bit friendlier and we didn't have Big Brother editing posts, more lurkers would contribute.

I understand

_________________
Yea, pretty much
Back to top Go down
View user profile
True Believer
the numero dos
the numero dos
avatar

Male Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:33 am

DanElectro wrote:
minimalist wrote:
TB I dont think Dan is so much talking about you as he is about the admins or other ppl that see a mistake and the quote it and say learn to spell.

At least that's what I assume he means.

I just think it's a good idea to ease up on everyone and make this forum a friendlier posting environment. We already have a lot of people getting their opinions shot down. Maybe if everyone was a bit friendlier and we didn't have Big Brother editing posts, more lurkers would contribute.

Uh . . . I agree with that.

So what were we arguing about?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R
the numero uno
the numero uno
avatar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:33 am

DanElectro wrote:
minimalist wrote:
TB I dont think Dan is so much talking about you as he is about the admins or other ppl that see a mistake and the quote it and say learn to spell.

At least that's what I assume he means.

I just think it's a good idea to ease up on everyone and make this forum a friendlier posting environment. We already have a lot of people getting their opinions shot down. Maybe if everyone was a bit friendlier and we didn't have Big Brother editing posts, more lurkers would contribute.

I understand what you're saying, and I don't want you to get the wrong idea with what I'm about to say.
I'm not trying to come off as condescending, I truly am curious and ould like to hear your well-thought-out opinions.


First off, how do you propose we make this forum a friendlier posting environment? (overlook the editing stuff for now)
I would really like to hear any ideas you or other guys have to better/further the forum.
In fact, many of them have been and are being taken into consideration this very moment.
I won't go into further detail, but trust me, TB and I are doing some work behind the scenes.

I don't quite understand what you're reffering to when you say "a lot of people getting their opinions shot down".
This concerns me, as I haven't had much time to browse through all of the forums as of late.

And as for the editing posts... that will be discussed in much greater detail later on.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R
the numero uno
the numero uno
avatar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:34 am

Oh, and about the lurkers:
I don't think they're so much scared to post as they are just leeching off of us (via the OQL forum).
Na' mean?

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hedinnweis
Local
Local
avatar

Male Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:38 am

R wrote:
Oh, and about the lurkers:
I don't think they're so much scared to post as they are just leeching off of us (via the OQL forum).
Na' mean?

Also. The lurkers want our bods. We oldschool original members are the sex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TJ
Dark Prime
Dark Prime
avatar

Male Age : 31

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:43 am

Hedinnweis wrote:
R wrote:
Oh, and about the lurkers:
I don't think they're so much scared to post as they are just leeching off of us (via the OQL forum).
Na' mean?

Also. The lurkers want our bods. We oldschool original members are the sex.

so this sort of like...................huh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R
the numero uno
the numero uno
avatar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:51 am

TJ wrote:
Hedinnweis wrote:
R wrote:
Oh, and about the lurkers:
I don't think they're so much scared to post as they are just leeching off of us (via the OQL forum).
Na' mean?

Also. The lurkers want our bods. We oldschool original members are the sex.

so this sort of like...................huh?

Yeah, I didn't get it either.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hedinnweis
Local
Local
avatar

Male Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:55 am

R wrote:
TJ wrote:
Hedinnweis wrote:
R wrote:
Oh, and about the lurkers:
I don't think they're so much scared to post as they are just leeching off of us (via the OQL forum).
Na' mean?

Also. The lurkers want our bods. We oldschool original members are the sex.

so this sort of like...................huh?

Yeah, I didn't get it either.

Sorry. I've been up since yesterday.
Not alot I say will make sense when I'm tired. Ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R
the numero uno
the numero uno
avatar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:57 am

Hedinnweis wrote:
R wrote:
TJ wrote:
Hedinnweis wrote:
R wrote:
Oh, and about the lurkers:
I don't think they're so much scared to post as they are just leeching off of us (via the OQL forum).
Na' mean?

Also. The lurkers want our bods. We oldschool original members are the sex.

so this sort of like...................huh?

Yeah, I didn't get it either.

Sorry. I've been up since yesterday.
Not alot I say will make sense when I'm tired. Ever.

Yeah, I think that can be said of mostly everyone.


Why are you not sleeping then?
What is so terribly important that it's been keeping you awake?

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DanElectro
The Man of Tomorrow
The Man of Tomorrow
avatar

Male Age : 78

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:58 am

R wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
minimalist wrote:
TB I dont think Dan is so much talking about you as he is about the admins or other ppl that see a mistake and the quote it and say learn to spell.

At least that's what I assume he means.

I just think it's a good idea to ease up on everyone and make this forum a friendlier posting environment. We already have a lot of people getting their opinions shot down. Maybe if everyone was a bit friendlier and we didn't have Big Brother editing posts, more lurkers would contribute.

I understand what you're saying, and I don't want you to get the wrong idea with what I'm about to say.
I'm not trying to come off as condescending, I truly am curious and ould like to hear your well-thought-out opinions.


First off, how do you propose we make this forum a friendlier posting environment? (overlook the editing stuff for now)
I would really like to hear any ideas you or other guys have to better/further the forum.
In fact, many of them have been and are being taken into consideration this very moment.
I won't go into further detail, but trust me, TB and I are doing some work behind the scenes.

I don't quite understand what you're reffering to when you say "a lot of people getting their opinions shot down".
This concerns me, as I haven't had much time to browse through all of the forums as of late.

And as for the editing posts... that will be discussed in much greater detail later on.

I can't overlook the editing complaint since it's the only one I have. The Admins and Mods can't become babysitters and try to monitor all the different personalities and age groups on here. I think the best thing to do as Admins and Mods is simply to limit the moderating and editing. People are going to disagree and some members with more seniority will always somehow find it their right to intimidate newer members. But everyone has their own opinions and style and so what's most suitable for this forum is laissez faire governance. By that I'm suggesting interfering only when it's absolutely necessary. Otherwise, there's absolutely nothing that you can do short of censoring members or upsetting/intimidating people by constantly looking over their shoulders while they submit a post.

In short, the best kind of environment we can have is the one you first set out to create by moving this forum off-site from its original location. Your motivation was to allow for more freedoms and I think you and the others responsible for creating and running this place should stick to that. You've all done a really amazing job and devoted unimaginable hours to this place I'm sure. Now let's not forget about why this forum was started.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hedinnweis
Local
Local
avatar

Male Age : 27

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:03 am

R wrote:
Hedinnweis wrote:
R wrote:
TJ wrote:
Hedinnweis wrote:
R wrote:
Oh, and about the lurkers:
I don't think they're so much scared to post as they are just leeching off of us (via the OQL forum).
Na' mean?

Also. The lurkers want our bods. We oldschool original members are the sex.

so this sort of like...................huh?

Yeah, I didn't get it either.

Sorry. I've been up since yesterday.
Not alot I say will make sense when I'm tired. Ever.

Yeah, I think that can be said of mostly everyone.


Why are you not sleeping then?
What is so terribly important that it's been keeping you awake?

Well I was doing a 24 hour comic (see my post in Generalisms) but I made the mistake of starting it at 10 pm immidiatly after a long weekend. Long story short. I was too exhausted to work on the comic but too awake to sleep. I'm still up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
R
the numero uno
the numero uno
avatar

Female

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:44 am

DanElectro wrote:

I can't overlook the editing complaint since it's the only one I have. The Admins and Mods can't become babysitters and try to monitor all the different personalities and age groups on here. I think the best thing to do as Admins and Mods is simply to limit the moderating and editing. People are going to disagree and some members with more seniority will always somehow find it their right to intimidate newer members. But everyone has their own opinions and style and so what's most suitable for this forum is laissez faire governance. By that I'm suggesting interfering only when it's absolutely necessary. Otherwise, there's absolutely nothing that you can do short of censoring members or upsetting/intimidating people by constantly looking over their shoulders while they submit a post.

Honestly, I don't think the intentions of my fellow moderators lie in that direction.
While I won't deny that there were a few instances where the original posts should not have been altered,
most of it was done in a jokingly manner to older members of the community.
Now I'm not saying that that makes it okay, just pointing out that they weren't trying to filter out individual personalities from posts.


Why do you think none of us ever touch Tayley's posts?
The vast majority of them are an abomination to the names of grammar and spelling,
but obviously he doesn't care about that sort of thing. So we don't.

The posters, though, that make a conscious effort to type in an orderly manner, we might fix a mistake or two in their post.
(or, we would have previously. In light of recent events things are going to be done a bit differently).
Only one of Carlito's posts have ever been edited, and that was solely to clear up some confusion about what he had said.

The editing isn't to intimidate members,
it's supposed to be rather a safeguard for unintentionally spelling maybe one word wrong
(which could change the meaning of the entire message).

But if you don't feel that way,
then we can certainly make changes to how things are being run around here.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leachcraft
Highlander!
Highlander!
avatar

Male Age : 38

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:51 am

R wrote:
DanElectro wrote:

I can't overlook the editing complaint since it's the only one I have. The Admins and Mods can't become babysitters and try to monitor all the different personalities and age groups on here. I think the best thing to do as Admins and Mods is simply to limit the moderating and editing. People are going to disagree and some members with more seniority will always somehow find it their right to intimidate newer members. But everyone has their own opinions and style and so what's most suitable for this forum is laissez faire governance. By that I'm suggesting interfering only when it's absolutely necessary. Otherwise, there's absolutely nothing that you can do short of censoring members or upsetting/intimidating people by constantly looking over their shoulders while they submit a post.

Honestly, I don't think the intentions of my fellow moderators lie in that direction.
While I won't deny that there were a few instances where the original posts should not have been altered,
most of it was done in a jokingly manner to older members of the community.
Now I'm not saying that that makes it okay, just pointing out that they weren't trying to filter out individual personalities from posts.


Why do you think none of us ever touch Tayley's posts?
The vast majority of them are an abomination to the names of grammar and spelling,
but obviously he doesn't care about that sort of thing. So we don't.

The posters, though, that make a conscious effort to type in an orderly manner, we might fix a mistake or two in their post.
(or, we would have previously. In light of recent events things are going to be done a bit differently).
Only one of Carlito's posts have ever been edited, and that was solely to clear up some confusion about what he had said.

The editing isn't to intimidate members,
it's supposed to be rather a safeguard for unintentionally spelling maybe one word wrong
(which could change the meaning of the entire message).

But if you don't feel that way,
then we can certainly make changes to how things are being run around here.

"Yo, I do whatever the fuck I want. With great power comes bitchin ass shit.

So deal with it.

But I get bored, I only changed your post like twice.....for funsies, in fact, in reason for editing I put "for funsies".


It's pretty apparent that we edited the posts, because it's the single post that is out of character. Besides I only edited two posts of yours in a section where I also gave you free comics so chill out."



I'm sorry, but that's completely unacceptable coming from a moderator...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
minimalist
Global
Global
avatar

Male Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: What The F***   Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:22 pm

DanElectro wrote:
R wrote:
DanElectro wrote:
minimalist wrote:
TB I dont think Dan is so much talking about you as he is about the admins or other ppl that see a mistake and the quote it and say learn to spell.

At least that's what I assume he means.

I just think it's a good idea to ease up on everyone and make this forum a friendlier posting environment. We already have a lot of people getting their opinions shot down. Maybe if everyone was a bit friendlier and we didn't have Big Brother editing posts, more lurkers would contribute.

I understand what you're saying, and I don't want you to get the wrong idea with what I'm about to say.
I'm not trying to come off as condescending, I truly am curious and ould like to hear your well-thought-out opinions.


First off, how do you propose we make this forum a friendlier posting environment? (overlook the editing stuff for now)
I would really like to hear any ideas you or other guys have to better/further the forum.
In fact, many of them have been and are being taken into consideration this very moment.
I won't go into further detail, but trust me, TB and I are doing some work behind the scenes.

I don't quite understand what you're reffering to when you say "a lot of people getting their opinions shot down".
This concerns me, as I haven't had much time to browse through all of the forums as of late.

And as for the editing posts... that will be discussed in much greater detail later on.

I can't overlook the editing complaint since it's the only one I have. The Admins and Mods can't become babysitters and try to monitor all the different personalities and age groups on here. I think the best thing to do as Admins and Mods is simply to limit the moderating and editing. People are going to disagree and some members with more seniority will always somehow find it their right to intimidate newer members. But everyone has their own opinions and style and so what's most suitable for this forum is laissez faire governance. By that I'm suggesting interfering only when it's absolutely necessary. Otherwise, there's absolutely nothing that you can do short of censoring members or upsetting/intimidating people by constantly looking over their shoulders while they submit a post.

In short, the best kind of environment we can have is the one you first set out to create by moving this forum off-site from its original location. Your motivation was to allow for more freedoms and I think you and the others responsible for creating and running this place should stick to that. You've all done a really amazing job and devoted unimaginable hours to this place I'm sure. Now let's not forget about why this forum was started.

Thats always the approach that I've taken, wouldnt you agree? (At least in my little spot in the tournament thread). I understand your concerns and I agree with your point of view because that's exactly howI feel too, amd I'm sure everyone feels the same as well.

_________________
Yea, pretty much
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What The F***   

Back to top Go down
 
What The F***
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
the Anti-Registration Act :: Welcome-
Jump to: